Temple Sinai and the State of Israel are Celebrating Their 70th Anniversary This Year - 5778
So many simchas! During the New Year 5778, Temple Sinai will be celebrating its 70th anniversary along with the 70th anniversary of the State of Israel. It’s going to be an exciting year! Welcome to a new section of the Scribe. Each month we will highlight a decade in the life of our Temple as part of a yearlong celebration of Temple Sinai. Our story will be told primarily from the words and pictures of Larry Krasnoff’s beautiful book? Temple Sinai of Roslyn. We will showcase clergy, distinguished speakers, as well as groups and events that are a part of our history. We will look back at where, who, and how we have grown since 1948.
A Temple is Born – The 40’s
The origin of Temple Sinai is a classic story of community and interfaith fellowship. The population of the greater Roslyn area increased to about 9,000 during the years of World War II. The grand estate of John Mackay, “Harbor Hill”, was closed and its property and surrounding tracts were available for development. In 1945, Levitt and Sons, who built affordable homes for veterans, developed the first community of East Park; the communities of South Park, Browers Hill, West Park, Strathmore and Country Club followed. Other developers created Norgate, Nob Hill, Country Estates, Fairfield Park, and Canterbury Estates. Approximately one-third of its new population, about 3,000 of the residents, were Jewish. But, there were no local synagogues and the Jewish residents became conscious of a growing need for a Jewish congregation in the community.
In 1947, Josh Adelstein and other Jewish families went to Rabbi Jacob P. Rudin of Temple Beth El in Great Neck, the Reverend John Van Zanten, minister of the Roslyn Presbyterian Church, and Forrester W. Pierce, owner of the Pierce Country Day School for help and guidance. These men were of great assistance to our Jewish community in these formative years. Read more.
The 50's. The era of the baby boomer. Elvis broke hearts. The Corvette debuted, along with Mickey Mouse and the hula hoop. The middle class grew. NASA was created. Television entered homes. So much was happening, growing, changing. But to us, members of Temple Sinai, it is especially important to know this decade was also a time of much growth and change for our synagogue.
The Roslyn Jewish Community Center drafted its Constitution and By-Laws on January 21, 1949 and adopted them a year later on January 4, 1950. At the meeting of June 27, 1950, the congregation adopted its current name, Temple Sinai. While the Temple was under construction, services were held at the Roslyn Presbyterian Church.
On August 27, 1950, a dedication ceremony was held at the new synagogue at which Temple President, Herbert H. Hyman, symbolically returned the keys of the Roslyn Presbyterian Church to Reverend John Van Zanten.
In 1951, with the support of Rabbi Alvan Rubin, Temple Sinai officially established itself as a Reform Temple by authorizing the ground rules of religious observation for its services in the "liberal reform manner". However, a group of congregants was opposed to the Reform-styled services and proposed a Conservative synagogue. Read more.
The 60’s and 70’s were times of growth and advancement as well as turmoil and upheaval. 1960 began with the election of John F. Kennedy and 1979 saw Ayatollah Khomeini return to power in Iran. During those decades we experienced optimism, protesting, and everything in between. Martin Luther King was silenced but his dream was not. Billie Jean King took a swing for women’s rights. Apple was created and Nixon resigned. The first man walked on the moon and Temple Sinai took many significant steps of its own.
Since its inception, Temple Sinai has been a cultural beacon of learning and discussion in the community. The committees that serve as arms of the synagogue have welcomed a diverse spectrum of distinguished lecturers. The list of distinguished speakers at Temple Sinai mirror to the conscience of the congregation, a social barometer of the country and a reaction to the events of the world. Those speakers, from the worlds of politics, religion, business, media and the arts are yet another example of the Temple’s contributions to the congregation and to the community. The speakers at Temple Sinai during the 1960?s reflected those turbulent years and included Bishop James Pike, former Dean of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Manhattan, Dr. Maurice Eisendrath, President of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the parent body of Reform Judaism, and Dr. Ralph J. Bunche, former Under-Secretary of the United Nations. Read more.
During the 60’s and 70’s decades, Temple Sinai its own share of growth and the need to replace. We are all the better for the expansion, growth and changes our Temple has gone through to be what it has been for so many and continues to be for all of us - our home.
Temple Sinai celebrated its 25th anniversary with a rededication program that lasted from May 5-7, 1972, including a special Sabbath service conducted by Rabbi Norman Kahan. The congregation welcomed back its first Rabbi, Alvan D. Rubin, for special commemorative honors. The Rev. John W. Van Zanten, an honorary member of Temple Sinai, was given a special presentation by Herbert H. Hyman, senior past president of the Temple. The Reverend was instrumental in the founding of Temple Sinai by allowing the members of the congregation to hold their religious services in his church for more than two years while Temple Sinai was being built. Thomas T. (“Buddy”) Pierce, also received special honors for permitting the Temple?s Sunday school classes to be conducted at the Pierce Country Day School during the formative years of the Temple. Read more.
The 80s was a pivotal decade that built a foundation for so much of our lives today. Motorola first introduced the mobile phone; the granddaddy of the smartwatch. We mourned John Lennon and danced to Michael Jackson. Michael Jordan was, well, Michael Jordan. Post-its and Pac-Man debuted and changed how we work and play. Yuppies cheered for Cheers and Dallas. The Berlin Wall came down, the cold war ended, and the Olympics were boycotted. While all of this was going on, our Temple was going through changes in both structure and leadership.
Temple Sinai underwent a major renovation commencing in 1983 that included complete refurbishment and redecoration of the Main Hall and Sinai Hall, as well as the sanctuary, classrooms, and Temple offices. There were also upgrades to heating and air conditioning systems, sound system, a new roof and parking lot. Temple Sinai was rededicated at a special service on June 2, 1985 to mark completion of construction. Read more.